Golf Cart Rules Updated
On Monday, June 4, Delphos City Council passed legislation updating the rules and regulations associated with the use of golf carts within the city limits. These changes were carefully considered by Council and Administration in an effort to ensure proper use of the vehicles, and most importantly, the safety of those operating and riding in the vehicle. These approved changes will take effect on July 4, 2018.
Rules You Need to Know:
- All golf carts must be inspected by the Chief of Police.
- This inspection must be prearranged by calling the Police Department 567-765-1805.
- The inspection fee is $20.00
- The Owner must provide a valid Ohio operator’s license and proof of financial responsibility.
- All golf carts shall be equipped with seat belts for each passenger up to a maximum of four seats. Any previously inspected golf cart is also required to comply with the seat belt requirement.
- Previously inspected golf carts approved prior to this legislation must obtain a new inspection prior to May 1, 2019. The $20.00 fee for these vehicles will be waived. Any vehicle inspected after May 1, 2019 will be required to pay the fee.
Permissible Operation on City Streets
- Operator MUST have a valid Ohio operator’s license, valid registration, and proof of financial responsibility.
- No golf carts to be operated on state highways within the City of Delphos. No golf carts to be operated on any street with posted speed limits in excess of twenty-five (25) miles per hour. Operators may cross state routes and streets with posted speed limits in excess of twenty-five (25) miles per hour provided they comply with all other applicable state and local laws.
- Occupants of golf carts shall be seated at all times and secured by a seatbelt at all times. Standing on any portion of the cart while it is in motion is prohibited.
- The maximum number of golf cart riders for approved golf carts shall be no more than the number of seats provided on the golf cart up to a maximum of four rider